1.06.2011

New Years in Salinas

by Becca G

We rang in the new year in a hotel in Salinas, CA.  It was a blast.  I mean, we had cable TV, what could be more fun on new year's eve?  We flipped back and forth between the Times Square countdown and the Disney channel countdown and ESPN when Jono could snatch the remote.  I have to say, I think the Disney channel was a little more entertaining.  Katharine McPhee is great but was it just too cold to get anybody else?
This pic was a spur of the moment thing.  Could be a new tradition though.


Salinas is the home of the great John Steinbeck.  Jono is a big fan so we went to check out the Steinbeck Museum.  I love all that local history stuff but I wasn't too hopeful that the kids would be that into it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The kids got to play in an old timey car, ride the red pony, and climb, crawl on, or try to take apart the rest on the museum.  It was great.  One of my favorite parts was seeing the actual truck Steinbeck and Charlie took on their travels and the exhibit on East of Eden made me want to read it all over again.



 However, not everyone could be convinced that Steinbeck was a cool dude...



Drove over to Monterey for the afternoon and found Joe's skull!  I always knew his head wasn't screwed on tight.

Looking for sea life in the Monterey Bay...


What a wonderful way to start our year!

1 comment:

it's good to hear from you!